Sunday, August 6, 2017

Landed State Farm Job!

Man! Where do I even start....?

Things have changed so much since the last time I wrote. To say that things have changed might even be an understatement. I would have never seen me here a few years ago.

Okay, story time!!

First of all, I am working in a new place! State Farm! Yes, I am now an insurance agent. Honestly, if you had asked me if it was possible for me to sell insurance three years ago, I would have most likely said that you were crazy! However, here I am, selling insurance on a daily basis. Please don't take this sarcastically. It is a pretty good damn job if you  ask me. I get to work Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. Most weekends off and a pretty good pay. However, it was still pretty unusual for me to think I could ever work in this business. Anyway, it isn't my dream career, but I like it and I can live with it. However, I am not saying that I am going to settle. I am going to strive to become better. I am going to be a self employed woman one day, whether it is writing, making YouTube videos or doing something else. I want to get to a point where I am my very own boss.

Anyway, how did I land this job, you ask? Well rather practical if you ask me. It is pretty strange. I was working as a receptionist at a senior living. My hours weren't cutting it, so I decided to ask for more hours. Of course that didn't go as planned, for I started having to work in the kitchen, as a waitress.... Yes, I couldn't believe it either, I went from being a receptionist to being a waitress. I hated it, for those few months that this arrangement lasted. Working part time as a receptionist and part time waitress, well that was the most miserable time of my life. I started looking for other opportunities. I started sending my resume to employers. Applying online to random companies. I even went as far to look for jobs on Craigslist (almost got scammed, don't do it!).

One day we were at my State Farm agent's office, making changes, or a payment, not sure; when I noticed that there was an empty desk in the back. I asked our agent about the girl who used to sit there and apparently she didn't work there anymore. I asked him, very jokingly if he was hiring! He started laughing and asked me to send him my resume and so I did within the minute!

A few months went by and I hadn't heard anything from my State Farm agent. I decided to give him a call just to check. When I got around to speaking to him he ended up referring me to another agent in the area, she called me a few days later letting me know that she had received my resume from one of her agent friends. She left a voicemail on my phone. I was so happy when I heard it, this was the opportunity of a lifetime! I called back and scheduled my interview for the day after. I was actually hired on the spot, contingent that I pass the required licensing tests.

That brings us to today and me writing this. So there you go, the story of  the day.

Until next time,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment