Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Scary and the Supernatural

Ever since I was in middle school I have loved to write research papers. So I figured out I would write about things that intrigue me once in a while and do research. Like today I decided to research something a little bit more scary. The back ground of Supernatural.

I am sure at least one of the people that will read this post know what the show Supernatural is. I always wondered if what went on in the show had some sort of truth or original folklore. So I decided to research some of it. In this TV Show they talk about so many Supernatural things, Angels and Demons as well. I know there much history revolving around those two subjects so I figured that there has to be original folklore to all of the other things that they speak of. I mean, honestly I don't think they came up with all of those things out of the blue.

What I first encountered when I begun my research was that all of the stories that are used in the TV show have some sort of history and the show plainly just elaborates on the existing story behind the actual monsters that they are hunting. Many of the monsters they hunt are part of the folklore of different cultures and countries.

Demons
According to Supernatural: Demons are supernatural beings that were created by Lucifer after he fell from heaven. They are able to walk with humans and possess a human body with no difficulty. They are exorcised by Dean and Sam multiple times and can only be killed with specific weapons(The colt). Demons have rankings and some of them are more powerful than others.
History(AKA:Wikipedia): A demon is a spiritual entity that can be conjured and sometimes possibly controlled. These entities can possess a human body and can only leave after an exorcism. First time demons were mentioned in history was by Plato. They are feared because of the believe that they are able to possess living things.

Djin
According to Supernatural: A monster who can grant your wishes by plainly reading your mind. However, it isn't a good type of wish granting, this creature is evil and grants
History (Not wiki): Djinn are supernatural creatures from Islamic Mythology, and pre-Islamic Arabian Mythology. It is believed that they live in an unseen world or a parallel dimension. They are creatures that own free will and they can be evil, good or neutral. This creature is a creature that can resemble a common known Genie. Djinn are called up by people. However, during my research it was hard to come upon something that said that they grant wishes, just that they are genies.

Reapers
According to Supernatural: A reaper is a spirit who comes to take you away once it is your time to pass away. Once they are there to take you with them there is no way of stopping them unless you make a deal (For example with a crossroad demon). Spirits who refuse to go with the reaper become angry spirits.
History: Most commonly known as Grim Reapers, or Death. Since the 15th century Death has been described as a skeletal figure  carrying a scythe. Death shows up when your time is up and it is believed that he can sometimes cause death before it is your time. During my search I also saw that when people speak of the Grim Reaper, it is referred to it as just one.

Ghosts
Supernatural: Ghosts are unrestful spirits that are either confused or angry at their deaths. Sometimes they don't understand that they are dead. In multiple times, they sometimes re live their deaths, they are caught in a never ending loop of their death. The only way to kill a ghost is to salt their bones and burn them.
History: A spirit of a dead living creature that can appear or manifest themselves to the living. Ghosts are usually described as spirits that attach themselves to certain locations or people. Ghosts aren't just evil, sometimes ghosts can be confused and might not even realize that they have died. However, many times ghosts will become angry and become mischievous and even evil.

__________________________________
I am going to cut off this post here because I can keep going and it would just became an essay. If you guys want me to write more things like these let me know! I actually enjoyed writing this one. I am sure I can take requests and do a little research on things you guys want me to do.

Have a nice weekend guys,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment