Sunday, May 30, 2010

Name Meanings

What does your name mean, or where does it come from? A couple days ago I could have sworn my name was from Italy, but today I researched it and found it is Greek, and it means "Manly & a Man's Woman." I was a little disappointed when I found that out. My name is the feminine form of Andrew. So, I am guessing both Andrew and Andrea mean the same thing, manly. Oh, by the way my name is Andrea.

Well, I went ahead and researched a couple more names. Maybe, you will find yours in the list, I will warn you, it is not in ABC order, I was searching for names from the top of my head:

  • (My sister's name) Maggie - "Pearl," and it's origin is Greek
  • (My mom) Cecilia - "Blind," origin is Latin
  • (My dad) Miguel/Michael - It means "Like god," and it is Spanish
  • (My cousin) Guadalupe - I thought this one was interesting. It means "river of black stones" but it is also associated with Virgin Mary and its origin is Spanish.
  • Jennifer - Means "white wave and fair one" I couldn't find a direct origin, it said Welsh and English
  • Edward - "Wealthy guardian," it is either English or German
  • Alice - "Truthful and noble," English, French, German
  • (My cousin) Paulina - It means "small," and it is Spanish
  • Genesis - Means "beginning" and it is Israeli
  • Marcos - "God of war," and it is Portuguese
  • Cindy/Cynthia - "Moon," and is is Greek
  • James - "supplant," and it English, Hebrew, and Israeli. One of those at least.
  • Justin - "Just or true," French, English or Irish (I really don't agree with this one though, its not that i have anything against it though, just my opinion)
  • Fernando - "Daring and adventurous," it is Spanish
  • Victor - Means "Winner" and it is Latin American
  • Jacob - I thought this one was weird... It means "Held by the heel" and it is Hebrew
  • Carlos - "Manly and Strong" and it is Spanish
  • Aaron - "Enlightened" Hebrew
  • Maria - "Bitter sea" it is Spanish

Well I think that is all I have, maybe some other time I'll add more to the list =D

No comments:

Post a Comment