Wednesday, April 30, 2014

California earthquakes, what is going on?!

My husband and I got married on March 28, 2014 and there was an earthquake that night.

Earthquakes around California since 17th century up to the
21st century.
For as long as I can remember, I know people have been saying that "the big one" is coming (I am talking about earthquakes here). I have lived through quite a bit of earthquakes here in California and I am sure if you live in California you have as well.

I remember one lecture in my earth science class about earthquakes, that one lecture is the one that pops into my head every single time there is an earthquake. I remember studying about the energy that makes up earthquakes. Maybe not energy but pressure, I am bad at remembering stuff so please correct me if I am wrong. Supposedly, energy (or pressure) builds up in the faults and under the earth's crust. An earthquake is the release of that pressure, it a sort of way for the earth to relieve itself, I would put it that way. I have a point, I promise. Keep reading.

People have been saying that there is a big earthquake coming to California because energy has been building up. However, we keep having all these little earthquakes, doesn't that mean that much of that energy that had built up has been released and the magnitude of that "big earthquake" that is coming won't be as bad? We might not even have that big earthquake at all if we just keep having a bunch of little earthquakes. Am I wrong?

I mean, all of this is just a simple theory, or more of a question because I wish I knew where people were getting their information about the big earthquake coming. There was like five earthquakes around the area were I live in the past 2 or 3 months alone. Imagine all of California.

Maybe I am just making up all of this so that I won't be as scared because of this thing that is supposedly going to happen, I don't know. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment