Thursday, April 10, 2014

Changing my name after I got married

I know for a fact that there is controversy around this topic...


As some of you guys might now, I recently got married. When I decided I did want to marry my husband I also made another important decision, I changed my name to my husband's name.

Now here is where the interesting part comes in, I am from a Mexican background and my dad is, well let's just say he is more like a traditional Mexican. Point is, my dad is very proud of his last name. I remember very clearly a conversation I heard when I was little. My dad was talking to someone and he told them that he wished he had had sons instead of daughters because now we (My sister and I) weren't going to be able to carry his first name or his last name because when we got married we would lose his last name. This hurt me, and for a second I wished that I had been the son he wanted. I am glad that I wasn't though, I like being a girl, thank you very much.

I don't understand why men, specifically coming from a Hispanic decent, are so worried about last names and passing on theirs. It just doesn't make sense to me. Now, as a wife I have my husbands last name and I am fine with that. I don't mind if I have sons or daughters, and I am sure my husband doesn't mind either. So why are traditional Hispanic dads so worried about their last name??

I come up on a couple of theories, but they don't make sense with my dad. Theory #1: If a family had a family business, I would understand why they would want their kids to have the family's business name, so they can be recognized as part of the business.... But my dad doesn't own a business.
Theory #2: I got nothing........

Anyway, I love my dad and everything but I honestly think that it was heartless to say something like the thing he said those many years ago about wishing he had had at least one son to pass on his last name. I mean come on! He has a bunch of brothers who had sons who will keep the family name running. So why be so heartless to the women... I suppose, at the end of the day, those traditional Hispanic "machos," like I like to call them have to learn a lesson...... Your wife changed her last name for you, so it is fine that your daughter takes someone else's when she marries. Oh! Please stop asking and wishing that your daughters were male!

Sincerely,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment